McGill University holds a campus license for Clarivate's EndNote citation management software. It organizes references (visual, multilingual, PDF) for research and scholarly writing.
EndNote searches online bibliographic databases and creates bibliographies and figure lists. In addition, it includes features such as:
- Addition and transfer of file attachments to the web
- Annotation of PDF files
- Automatic reference updates
- Conditional formatting options
- Compare duplicate references
- New reference types for Dataset and Music
- New fields in the Journal Article reference type
- Maintenance of links to an original PDF file when importing PDFs to create new references
Who can use it
All McGill University full-time faculty, staff and students can download and install EndNote for use on their personal computers or on McGill workstations for which they have administrative rights.
How to request & access the service
- Review the Windows compatibility and system requirements.
- Download the appropriate installer .zip file, containing the EndNote software and serial number (you will be promoted to sign in with your McGill username and McGill password):
- Click OK to save the zip file, then open it once the download is finished.
- Click the Extract to or Extract all files link to run the Extraction Wizard (extraction steps may differ based on your OS and what software you are using, e.g. WinRar or WinZip). You must extract all the files before you start the installation process. Copy the product key (provided in the text file) when prompted.
- When the compressed folders have been extracted, go to the location where they have been saved (which should open automatically for you).
- Depending on the EndNote version you downloaded (20 or X9), double-click on EN20Inst.msi or ENX9Inst.msi to run the software installation, and follow any onscreen instructions.
- Review the Macintosh compatibility and system requirements for EndNote.
- Download the appropriate installer package (you will be prompted to sign in with your McGill username and McGill password):
* Note for EndNote on Mac:
Safari browsers do not work well with EndNote. You are advised to download and install the Mozilla Firefox browser.
There is no cost for this software as long as you are a full-time student or staff at McGill. If you are a student the costs are covered under your student fees.
The service is available 24 X 7.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Visit the McGill Library's page on EndNote for Frequently Asked Questions.
- How will I know when a new version of the software is available to me?
All news regarding EndNote are posted on the McGill Library's Citation guides page.
Best practices & policies
- Visit the McGill Library's Citation guides page for best practices and workshops.
- Before upgrading to a new version of EndNote, make a backup of your existing libraries in case any problems occur when converting/upgrading.
Training & documentation
EndNote training sessions are available from the McGill Library throughout the year.
McGill Library support page
If you are having an issue with running the software or require assistance using it, you can consult the McGill Library's Getting help with EndNote page.
IT Service Desk
If you are having issues installing the software, contact the IT Service Desk